Wednesday 20 October 2010

Introduction

Conceptual Development of a 'city' using Italo Calvino's 'Invisible Cities' as a starting point




















I am very much a studio based designer and I have developed a design process that is a combination of testing through model making, experimenting with social ideas of inhabitation and interventions. The work I produce is always a result of an extensive process of different, interconnecting design steps. Only by taking one design step, can it become clear which step to take next and I try to allow this design process to be natural and unforced.
From my BA in Architecture, I have found that there is not always time to develop ideas experientially for the inhabitants. Not enough attention is given, for example, to looking in detail at the scale or materiality of interiors or furniture and installation design, which I would really like to develop further.
I am interested in looking into compact living in the context of high-intensity hyper-urbanised environments and responding to the need for architecture to adapt to the constantly shifting social trends and economic demands of space and challenge the notion of the permanent and the temporal, the dynamic and the static. I am also interested in developing design strategies for the neglected inter-peripheries of London. This could examine and identify moments of disjuncture where adjacencies of textures, scales, structures and programmes are revealed and through interventions could re-connect back to their surroundings.
From taking the MA Interior and Spatial Design at Chelsea College of Art and Design, I hope to also be able to position myself better professionally. I would like to work in an area of the design field that is not solely limited to one design discipline but has the flexibility to cross between the disciplines of architecture, interior, fine art and furniture design, which I feel can work in conjunction with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment